Sunday, March 8, 2015

Newborn Sessions: How to prepare for your child's first photos.

Pueblo Photographer
I love shooting newborns.  Being a mom myself, I know how important it is to  preserve this precious moment in time.  They literally are only newborns for the first few weeks of life.  It's amazing how much a baby changes throughout the first year, let alone the first month of life. It is so important to be prepared for your baby's first portraits and since I have two newborn sessions scheduled this week, and one next week, I decided it was important to not only give them this information, but share it for future clients and other parents of new babies and photographers as well.

With baby only being a newborn for a short period of time, this brings me to my first tip:

1.) Bring baby in before he or she is 2 weeks old. 
I know that it may not always be possible, some babies need to spend a little extra time in the hospital.  Some moms need a little more time to recover, and that's okay.  But if your baby can make it in before that 2 week mark, it will be so much easier for everyone involved.  At about the two week mark, your baby stops sleeping as much, and no longer likes to stay curled up in a ball.  If you are hoping to get those really cute newborn photos of a sleeping baby like this, I recommend bringing baby in between days 4 and 10.
pueblo baby photos

2.) Feed baby before your session.
Babies sleep best on a full tummy.  If we have to stop the session multiple times to feed baby, we will, but if they have been fed right before you arrive, our chances of making it the entire shoot without stopping (and having a much shorter session) are much better.  I schedule up to 2 hours for newborns, but if we can get it in an hour, I know we will all be much happier.  

3.) Bring a pacifier to your session.
If you don't want to give baby a paci because you are a nursing mom, we will stop for feedings, but if baby is gassy or just isn't sleeping well or fussy, a pacifier works great to get the shots.  I have a neat little trick that I do that actually makes baby look like he or she is blowing kisses, even if they are awake and fussy. It helps a bunch!

4.) Wear comfortable clothing that is good for high temperatures.
I use a space heater on baby, and keep my studio at a whopping 85 degrees for my newborn sessions.  Babies are used to it being very warm in the womb and will be naked for some of their photos.  If it is really warm outside, we might even do some photos outdoors.  
baby's first portraits
5.)  Wear black clothing to be in some photos with baby.
I know that as new moms we feel uncomfortable with how we look. I once had an aunt who told me that I still looked pregnant!  But your precious newborn photos need you in them!  We will use your hands and your face.  If you want siblings and dad in the photos, have them wear black too.  Don't have black in your closet?  White or grey can work too.  
newborn boy photos
6.) Bring special blankets, hats, bonnets, headbands, outfits, or accessories.  
If dad is a fireman, bring his gear.  If you got special hats at your baby shower, bring them too.  We want your baby's session to be about you and your baby, and completely unique.  
baby girl first pictures

7.) Loosen baby's clothing and diapers about 20-30 mins before your session.
Baby's skin is new, so it easily holds shapes and marks longer, especially with things that are elastic. 

8.) Bring baby oil and/or lotion.
With newborn skin and because baby is so new, it tends to turn red and flaky very easily. Baby lotion and oil helps with this.

9.) Poop happens!
Yes it does, and so does spit up.  Be sure to bring diapers, wipes, and burp clothes, as well as changes of clothing for you and for baby. 

10.) Relax
I may have you help with the session, or I may have you sit in the waiting room.  If you are nursing baby may smell you and might think it's feeding time.  If I ask you to help, it's for you to help me get multiple shots to combine in photoshop. Either way, don't worry.  I've had 2 of my own and take my job very seriously.  I've been a baby photographer for almost 10 years now and absolutely love working with them!  I don't want you to stress.  "I've got this".  

I cannot wait to meet your newborn!
baby photos







Here's a self portrait of me and my little girl who is almost 9 now.  This was my very first photo shoot! I've come a long way since this session!


No comments: